Sync your contacts from iPhone to Android
So if you’ve recently made the jump to Android or you are seriously considering it, a huge frustration is taking things out from the Apple ecosystem. Whether you have a HTC One, Galaxy or an Xperia, one of the biggest concerns for mobile users is having their contacts come over with them. Thanks to some pretty nifty work by Google with their Google Sync services, switching over from iPhone to Android is not so scary anymore.
The process you will be doing is backing up your contacts with Google, meaning that your contacts are effectively in a Google cloud. Unlike the iCloud, Google’s cloud service can be accessed my multiple devices and easily.
So first things first, make sure you have a GMail account. If you don’t already, you should… It’s easy to sign up, just jump on to gmail.com and sign up now.
1. Open the Settings application on your device’s home screen.
2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Press Add Account….
4. Select Microsoft Exchange. iOS 4.0+ allows multiple Exchange accounts. However, if you’re on a device that doesn’t let you add a second account, you could also use IMAP to sync Gmail, CalDAV to sync Google Calendar, and CardDAV to sync contacts.
Enter Account Info
5. In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address. If you use an @googlemail.com address, you may see an “Unable to verify certificate” warning when you proceed to the next step.
iOS6 users follow these setup instructions:
6. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
7. Press Next at the top of your screen.
8. Enter m.google.com in the Server field.
9. Leave the Domain field blank.
10. Enter the user email address as the Username.
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again. Skip to step 12.
6. Leave the Domain field blank.
7. Enter your full Google Account email address as the Username.
8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
9. Tap Next at the top of your screen.
9a. Choose Cancel if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears.
10. When the new Server field appears, enter m.google.com.
- To access m.google.com, set the language to English (US).
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again.
It may take a few hours to sync depending on how popular you really are, so sit back and relax and send you contacts to the Google Cloud.